California authorities probe armed robbery attempts
CALIFORNIA – Three armed robbery attempts that took place on or near California University of Pennsylvania in the past few days have students on alert as they begin the spring semester, but borough police believe they will make an arrest soon. According to police reports, the suspect, whom the three victims described as a tall black man, may have used a pellet gun and ultimately got away with only $1.
No one was harmed in the incidents, but police are taking the matter seriously, and campus security has posted crime alert flyers in university buildings.
The first incident occurred at 9:10 p.m. Tuesday in the Student Association Inc. parking lot. According to Dr. Michele McCoy, Cal U director of public affairs, two black men in a beige or tan four-door sedan approached a 21-year-old male student and asked for directions to Pittsburgh. The passenger in the vehicle then pulled a gun and robbed the student of his only dollar, and the student fled on foot.
According to borough police, the next incident occurred in the Jefferson at California apartments parking lot Wednesday at 9 p.m., when a black man tried to rob a 22-year-old female student at gunpoint. The student told police that the man fled on foot when a vehicle pulled into the parking lot.
In the third incident, which occurred Wednesday at 9:50 p.m. at Papa John’s Pizza on Wood Street, a black man entered the pizza shop and asked how long it would take to get a pizza. He then pulled a silver gun and told the 27-year-old worker to give him all the money in the cash register, according to police reports.
The employee told police he recognized the weapon as a pellet pistol and told the suspect, “That’s real nice. I have one just like it at home.” The suspect told the man he was “just kidding,” handed the employee the gun to look at and then ordered a pizza. The suspect then left in a silver-colored car and never returned for the pizza.
California Police Chief Steve Silbaugh said borough police are investigating the two attempted robberies Wednesday, while campus police are handling Tuesday’s incident. Silbaugh said police have several suspects in mind and are working to confirm their involvement.
“We think we will be able to make an arrest in a couple of days. We have an idea of who it is,” he said.
California Mayor Galvie Gardner said the suspect still could face serious charges even if he did use only a pellet gun in the attempted robberies.
According to reports, police found on campus a car that fits the description of the suspect’s vehicle, and they have pictures of the possible suspects leaving a Cal U dormitory. Police also are investigating a possible connection to an incident that occurred in October, when a 21-year-old California man was charged with disorderly conduct in public places after he allegedly pulled a pellet gun on a woman after an argument on Third Street.
Cal U students have mixed reactions about the recent incidents.
Astashia Brownlee, a sophomore who resides in Clyde Hall, said the attempted robberies make her feel unsafe.
“I feel the police should patrol the area more. I don’t really see police patrolling the area,” Brownlee said. “I think we should feel safe, as much as we pay for school.”
Some female students who live off campus and those with night classes say they are downright scared.
“I’m scared to walk, because I live off campus. When I was walking home last night, I didn’t see any security. I’m definitely concerned,” said sophomore Jessi McConn.
However, TJ McAloon, a sophomore, who lives off campus, said students shouldn’t let the incident affect their lives.
“Last year, we had a person come through with a gun, and the whole campus was on lockdown at 12 a.m. I don’t think one incident should trigger a lockdown on everything. I don’t think it should affect how people act around here,” McAloon said.