A house that has sat vacant for several years on North Gallatin Avenue in Uniontown caught fire Tuesday afternoon.
Firefighters from Uniontown, South Union, Hopwood and North Union battled the blaze which started at 12:33 p.m.
ABC Schoolhouse, a child daycare center that sits next to the vacant structure, was not damaged, according to Mary Jane Artis, daycare manager, and all of the children were safe as well.
“We saw flames coming out the back of the house, and we evacuated the children,” Artis said.
Artis said daycare center staff first evacuated the children to the front porch of the Thomas M. Dolfi Funeral Home, and once firefighters arrived on scene, they helped staff to safely escort the children to a temporary site.
Artis said staff followed an emergency operations plan the center has in place, and parents were notified.
No injuries have been reported.
According to Uniontown police, the state police fire marshal was called to the vacant house located at 149 N. Gallatin Ave.