Former Laurel Highlands teachers waive cases to court
Both face allegations of sexual misconduct involving students
Two former Laurel Highlands High School teachers accused of sexual misconduct against students waived their preliminary hearings Wednesday morning.
Daniel Cervone and Martin Gatti, both 51, are expected to stand trial sometime next summer, unless they reach a plea agreement before then, said Fayette County District Attorney Mike Aubele.
Both preliminary hearings had been scheduled for April before being postponed.
Aubele said he appreciated the public’s patience. It had been difficult to schedule the hearings because of changes being made at the Central Court office, which is closing at the end of the month, Aubele said.
“This is something I know that has been on the public’s mind for a while,” he said. “We are certainly happy to get through this phase.”
Aubele anticipated Cervone and Gatti would waive their formal arraignments, scheduled for Sept. 17. From there, he said, the case would move on to discovery and prepare for any motions.
Gatti, of Uniontown, did not comment on the case as he left the court Wednesday morning. Until the hearings were waived, Cervone stayed parked in his car, talking occasionally with his attorney, who walked over from court multiple times.
Cervone, a Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps instructor at the school, was arrested in March after a former student alleged he had carried out an inappropriate relationship with her for several months in 2019 and 2020, including having sex on school grounds.
Cervone, of Monongahela, was arrested shortly after Gatti, a social studies teacher who was charged with attempted sexual assault. He is accused of propositioning a student and attempting to coerce her into kissing him after calling her into his classroom in January.
Gatti was fired by the board at a special meeting days after he was charged. Cervone resigned in April, shortly before a meeting at which they were set to vote on his termination.
Aubele said his office is continuing to investigate reports of potential incidents involving teachers and others in the district.
The charge of institutional sexual assault filed against Cervone and Gatti have only been on the books since 2011, meaning some older cases may not be able to be pursued with criminal charges, Aubele said.
“The age of a report may not prohibit us or prohibit the school from doing certain things, but it may prohibit law enforcement from proceeding with any charges. But again, we’re taking all reports, we’re continuing to take information, and we appreciate everybody that’s cooperated, all the victims that have come forward, all the witnesses that have come forward with information.”
Cervone is charged with sexual contact with a student, while Gatti faces a similar attempted sexual contact charge. Both are also accused of corruption of minors and unlawful contact with a minor.
Both have been free on bond since their arraignment. Cervone posted a $20,000 bond and must pay the cost of electronic home monitoring. Gatti posted a self-surety bond of $40,000.


